Interagency Climate Adaptation Committee
The overarching goal of the ICAC is to plan for and address the effects of climate change in order to protect the State’s economy, health, environment, and way of life. Over the next three years (2015 – 2017), the ICAC has been directed to focus on climate impacts related to sea level rise. To achieve this goal, the ICAC will: (1) develop, update, and use knowledge of climate risk to recommend improvements to policies, programs, projects, and business practices that reduce risk, and (2) work effectively together, sharing information and data and developing innovative sector-specific and cross-cutting recommendations to adapt to a changing climate.
The first phase of work of the ICAC is to develop the SLR Report by December 2017. The DLNR Office of Conservation and Coastal Lands (OCCL) will lead the development of the SLR Report in coordination with the ICAC. The SLR Report will serve as a framework for the State and ICAC to address other climate-related threats and climate change adaptation priorities, ultimately leading to a Climate Adaptation Plan for the State of Hawaiʻi, which will be prepared by the OP.
The SLR Report will expand upon ongoing collaborations with the University of Hawaiʻi School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (UH SOEST), the University of Hawaiʻi Sea Grant College Program (UH Sea Grant), the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PACIOOS), and the Pacific Islands Climate Change Cooperative (PICCC). Data and mapping products will provide a basis for further analysis of vulnerabilities, socioeconomic ramifications, and recommendations for planning, management and adaptation to reduce vulnerability and increase resilience to SLR hazards. DLNR has contracted Tetra Tech, Inc. to conduct the vulnerability assessment and socioeconomic impact analysis and assist the ICAC in preparing the SLR Report.
Interagency Climate Adaptation Committee Members
- Chairperson of the Board of Land and Natural Resources (co-chair)
- Director of the Office of Planning (co-chair)
- Chairs of the standing committees of the legislature with related subject matter jurisdiction
- Director of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism
- Chairperson of the Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority Board of Directors
- Chairperson of the Board of Agriculture
- Chief Executive Officer of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs
- Chairperson of the Hawaiian Homes Commission
- Director of Transportation
- Director of Health
- Adjutant General
- Chairperson of the Board of Education
- Directors of the County Planning Departments
- Manager of the Coastal Zone Management Program